Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Patrick Kane says he's done nothing wrong.

Covers Trades, Trade Proposals, Trade Rumors and Free-Agency!

Patrick Kane says he's done nothing wrong.

Postby cl525 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:51 pm

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane for the first time addressed the sexual assault investigation against him Thursday and declared he had "done nothing wrong" and expected to be absolved.

Appearing calm and poised, the 26-year-old Kane acknowledged that it has been an "incredibly difficult time for many people" since the allegation surfaced in early August.

"I cannot apologize enough for the distraction this has caused my family, teammates, this incredible organization and, of course, our fans," said Kane, flanked by team officials including team President and CEO John McDonough. "While I have too much respect for the legal process to comment on an ongoing matter, I am confident once all the facts are brought to light I will be absolved of having done nothing wrong."

http://www.tsn.ca/kane-addresses-assault-accusation-says-he-has-done-nothing-wrong-1.362203
cl525

Re: Patrick Kane says he's done nothing wrong.

Postby cl525 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:51 pm

These situations are always so difficult. One hand wants to believe Patrick and one hand wants to believe the accuser. It's difficult to even comprehend the situation and only two people know the absolute truth.
cl525

Postby clanfrazier » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:12 pm

True! Any time something like this comes up, you just don't know. As a hockey fan, I hope this is the outcome.
clanfrazier

Postby cl525 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Sounds like the evidence was tampered with, possibly by the girls' mother. Her lawyer has quit, witnesses are dropping out...not sure what's going on but it sounds fishy.
cl525

Postby clanfrazier » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:18 pm

This is quickly becoming a full on train wreck. District Attorney said this morning that DNA evidence seemed to favor the accused (Kane), and mentioned an IF, not WHEN, the case might go to grand jury. You're right, now with even the girl's friends dropping out, it gets real fishy, real fast.

I think this goes away by the start of the season, unless Kane wants to pursue a defamation countersuit...because that is becoming more of a possibility with all the new info.
clanfrazier

Postby cl525 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm very curious to know how much money Kane has/will lose in royalties with being removed from the EA Sports NHL 16 cover. Probably not worth going after a defamation (if he's being honest) however.

I read an article saying that the lady wanted 'to settle'. Maybe I'm off base and maybe I don't understand because I've never been in the situation but wouldn't you want the rapist behind bars? A bit of money shouldn't 'settle' things? No?
cl525

Postby americanario » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:10 pm

cl525 wrote:Maybe I'm off base and maybe I don't understand because I've never been in the situation but wouldn't you want the rapist behind bars? A bit of money shouldn't 'settle' things? No?

Sometimes I think the same way, but then again when my wife's grandfather was murdered, the family was very happy the killer offed himself. They didn't want to have to relive it over and over in the courts and have to wait months or years for it to be over and settled.
I can imagine that having to relive the pain and horror of rape or an assault every time you have to go to court could be pretty horrible. The defendant's lawyers always trying to make you (the victim) out to be a horrible person or what other tactics they may try, having to retell your story in testimony, etc.
Nothing will every take away that pain, I'm sure. But for some people getting some money, hurting your assailant financially, might be enough of a punishment.
Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be PIRATES.
-Mark Twain-
americanario
Hall Of Famer

Postby cl525 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:11 am

americanario wrote:
cl525 wrote:Maybe I'm off base and maybe I don't understand because I've never been in the situation but wouldn't you want the rapist behind bars? A bit of money shouldn't 'settle' things? No?

Sometimes I think the same way, but then again when my wife's grandfather was murdered, the family was very happy the killer offed himself. They didn't want to have to relive it over and over in the courts and have to wait months or years for it to be over and settled.
I can imagine that having to relive the pain and horror of rape or an assault every time you have to go to court could be pretty horrible. The defendant's lawyers always trying to make you (the victim) out to be a horrible person or what other tactics they may try, having to retell your story in testimony, etc.
Nothing will every take away that pain, I'm sure. But for some people getting some money, hurting your assailant financially, might be enough of a punishment.

You and I must have misconnected. I'm ALWAYS okay with a murderer/rapist/child predator offing themselves. To me, that's #1 above and beyond. Doesn't waste any tax payers dollars and that person is gone forever.

You are right though. Being drudged through the legal system to try to prove (or defend) your innocence and trying to show that you WERE the victim has to be real tough. Somebody like Kane however (I assume) has money coming out of his ears. How much money would a settlement be? $100,000 probably won't even make a dint.
cl525

Postby sheese » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:23 am

I'd like to add too, that settling just makes the accuser look guilty. In a case like this there are enough people already believing that she's doing this for the fame and or money. Settling just adds more fuel to the argument.
Not saying that this is correct, but I'm sure it's a factor that weighs heavy into the decision.
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Return to Trades, Transactions, Free-Agency, and Rumors