Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Trade Deadline 2014

Covers Trades, Trade Proposals, Trade Rumors and Free-Agency!

Trade Deadline 2014

Postby Foppa'sGhost » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:01 am

So the Avs clearly need major defensive help to be a contender... They keep blowing leads and are just short of talent. But the Avs have great chemistry and have an enviable amount of youth on their team (recent NHL teams have won the Cup with young rosters--Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA). So the challenge is to keep the core, stay young and get better on defense. This leads me to believe that O'Reilly is not on the block and would only be dealt as a part of a mega-deal (PK Subban). The likely trade bait is Paul Stastny, a good and loyal Av. Stastny is coming up on free agency, is older than the core and is a valuable commodity at the Avs' deepest position (center). The problem is that Stastny has been on the block for a while and no team has pulled the trigger. There is no guarantee he will fetch enough return. The Avs other assets would be Parenteau or guys in the system, BIgras especially, or draft picks. There is not a great crop of defensive help available, nor is the free agent crop especially good. Names like Kulikov, Gardiner, MacDonald have come up. I think the Avs will either make a minor deal involving Parenteau or will make a much bolder deal than what we have heard about. This core is set and could contend this year if they get a stud on D. Keep your eyes on the Canadians and Mapleleafs for the big time deals.
"I can't really hear what Jeremy says, because I got my 2 Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear..."
Foppa'sGhost
2nd-Liner

Re: Trade Deadline 2014

Postby Domyos » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:01 am

First trade:

Miller and Ott to St Louis, Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 1st in 2015 and a 3rd in 2016 to Buffalo.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Postby Domyos » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:50 am

It seems that Brodeur has waived his no trade clause and he will be traded at the deadline.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Wow...expected him to be a Devil to the end. Not done yet, but that's a big indication of the possibility.

And holy crap did St. Louis overpay for Miller! If Miller signs with St. Louis, that 3rd round turns into another 1st.
clanfrazier

Postby Domyos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 pm

clanfrazier wrote:Wow...expected him to be a Devil to the end. Not done yet, but that's a big indication of the possibility.

And holy crap did St. Louis overpay for Miller! If Miller signs with St. Louis, that 3rd round turns into another 1st.

I think they overpayed as well, but with that move they got much stronger.

Miller is a huge upgrade over Halak, and Ott fit in Hitchcock's better than Stewart for sure.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Postby clanfrazier » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:40 pm

I agree about Ott/Stewart...but they sent potentially the same deal we gave to Washington for Varlamov (we sent 1st and 2nd, they sent 1st and 3rd that likely will become two 1sts instead), AND threw in Halak and more. If it works out for St. Louis, kudos to them...but the Varly trade is actually starting to look like a steal now compared to this one.
clanfrazier

Postby sheese » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:58 pm

clanfrazier wrote:I agree about Ott/Stewart...but they sent potentially the same deal we gave to Washington for Varlamov (we sent 1st and 2nd, they sent 1st and 3rd that likely will become two 1sts instead), AND threw in Halak and more. If it works out for St. Louis, kudos to them...but the Varly trade is actually starting to look like a steal now compared to this one.

Hind sight is 20/20. Lots of critics of that trade when it went down, but thankfully with Varly's progression we've been the big winners in that trade. Miller 'cost' a whole lot more b/c there was very little element of risk. Any team looking to get Varlamov now would have to pay an equal (or higher) value than what was paid for Miller (higher due to his younger age, and hypothetical progression).
The only way St. Louis loses this trade is if they don't keep Miller or they bow out of the playoffs in the early rounds this year, or every year Miller is on their team. The 1st rounders are likely very late picks, Halak is a good goalie but not elite. Carrier could be a good 2nd line player, but probably not much more; and Stewart... well he's Stewart. Lots of potential for Buffalo, but also a lot of room for failure. Remember the Hossa trade from Atlanta to Pitt? Everyone thought Pitt got robbed... but in hind sight Atlanta got diddly squat from Pitt. So, you never know. Always fun to analyze & speculate though. :D
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Postby Starscream33 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am

Martin St Louis for F Ryan Callahan, 1st-Round Pick (2015), and 2nd-Round Pick (2014). That's A lot!
Starscream33
Grinder

Postby Foppa'sGhost » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 am

Hockeybuzz reporting O'reilly for Spezza..... Spezza is old, more expensive, declining and not a great team guy. This would be terrible. O'reilly is a better player right now and is younger... Pay the guy or get a top pair D but please, no over the hill, prima donnas.
"I can't really hear what Jeremy says, because I got my 2 Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear..."
Foppa'sGhost
2nd-Liner

Postby AFFPR » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Did we seriously give up a 2nd for Reto Berra?????? We need to stop dealing with Calgary................. every....time.......... jeez!! When guys like Fasth and Bryzgalov and Hemsky went for less than that... Please!!!!!!!! :shock:
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Yeah, some really crazy trades today for sure!

- Minnesota got better with the addition of Moulson and some toughness in Cody Mac...Bryz will be backup, but more solid than what they had.
- Kings got Gaborik for Frattin and a couple picks??? IMO, we could have sent PAP and those same picks for Gaborik and made the fastest and easily one of the most dangerous lines in hockey putting him with ROR and Duchene.
- Anyone who bought a Sabres jersey in the last year has a 50/50 chance of that player not being in a Sabres jersey any more.
- Vanek to the Habs for a song. Isles were raped repeatedly this year and Snow doesn't seem to care much. Gave a 1st and 2nd with Moulson to get Vanek...gave him away (with a 5th) for a prospect and a 2nd. I would be ordering assault kits for the entire staff if I were an Isles fan.
- Rangers took the Isles lead and overpaid severely for St. Louis. Callahan and a 2nd, sure...but adding in a 1st???
- Ditto for the Wings acquisition of Legwand. Eaves, a prospect and a 3rd for Legwand...when Hemsky commanded less with more actual potential?

Overall, I'm not disappointed at our lack of moves. As long as we sign ROR and either sign Stastny to a nice deal (more likely all the time) or trade him for the top pairing D we need over the summer...or just sign the D...I'm fine. A little puzzled at the Berra move, but remember we have one of the best, if not the best, goalies of all time looking at the situation. If Roy sees something in Berra that he had to have, I'll trust that for now.
clanfrazier

Postby clanfrazier » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:31 pm

More on Berra:
"The Avalanche will carry three goalies -- Semyon Varlamov, Jean-Sebastien Giguere and Berra -- for the rest of the season. The team has been concerned about Giguere's back problems (he's missed two games this season) and wanted a goalie with NHL experience as insurance in the event either Varlamov or Giguere sustains an injury.

Giguere, 36, is in the final year of his contract and it seems pretty obvious that he won't be re-signed. Berra, 27, is on an entry-level contract worth $850,000 according to capgeek.com and also will be eligible for unrestricted free agency. But the Avalanche is certain to re-sign him after parting with a high pick."
- Rick Sadowski

Makes more sense, even though we already have two solid G prospects is Pickard and Aittokallio.
Berra did look solid in the Olympics in the game he played for the Swiss against Sweden.

Plus...check out the video at this MHH link:
http://www.milehighhockey.com/2014/3/5/5474710/avalanche-acquire-reto-berra-for-a-draft-pick
clanfrazier

Return to Trades, Transactions, Free-Agency, and Rumors