Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Weber signs 100 mill, 14 year offersheet with Flyers

Covers Trades, Trade Proposals, Trade Rumors and Free-Agency!

Weber signs 100 mill, 14 year offersheet with Flyers

Postby Drury_Sakic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Per TSN.

Nashville can match. Shit just got real.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Re: Weber signs 100 mill, 14 year offersheet with Flyers

Postby clanfrazier » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 pm

That's a HUGE offer sheet. Nashville's gonna be solid either way from it though. They match and keep their captain for life (unless traded or bought out) for a cap hit of roughly $7MM per (not bad) or they get a boatload of 1st rounders from Philly to build a strong future.

I bet they match it though.
clanfrazier

Postby Drury_Sakic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 am

Rumor is that the first year of the contract pays out 26 million via bonus + contract. I would bet the Flyers frontloaded the hell out of the contract to scare away Preds ownership.

If I were the Preds, I am 100% willing to take my 4 1st round picks and let him leave.

Take two of the picks + a roster player and trade for Bobby Ryan.

Take the other 2 picks + maybe something else and trade for Yandel.

Take the cash you saved on not signing Suter or Weber and sign Semin + 1-2 othe depth players.

And just like that you have a roster that is playoff worthy and that has room to grow.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Drury_Sakic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 am

another aside to all this to make it clear to people.

The CBA states that to get 4 1st round picks the Average of the contract has to be over something like 8.1 million. If the deal is longer than 5 years, you take the total dollar value of the contract and divide it by 5 years term to get the "average" year, so in any realistic frontloaded contract situation, the contract is 99.9% sure to fall under the 4 1st round picks valuation. ( 100+ million / 5 = way over 8.1 )

Additionally, the Flyers officially own Webers rights as of this moment. Nashville can match, thus regaining his rights. Neither team can trade Weber for a 365 days as of the signing of the offer sheet. The contract structure, thus the signing bonus + term + potential no movement clause, are in full effect and do not/cannot be changed if the Preds match....thus if the contract is frontloaded a ton, Nashville has to come up with the cash and can't balance it out any.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Domyos » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:14 am

Nashville should let him go, because it's clear that Weber wants out and doesn't want to play in Nashville anymore.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Postby Ellipson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Or he just wants a long term deal. I have a hard time believing Weber didn't consider that they'd match.

I mean, we went through this with Sakic... I have a gut feeling that Weber is just using this as a win/win for himself.
Ellipson
Grinder

Postby AFFPR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Holy crap.. This is huge.. I also agree with DS that if I were Nashville I let him go and get the 4 firsts. Granted Philly will not produce super draft positions for these picks.. But, thats a damn lot of money for Nashville to deal with. On the other hand, it will be pretty sad if Nashville loses Weber after losing Sutter and turns into a mediocre team... after the great job they have done in Nashville throughout the years since they came on board the NHL. If however, they can acquire roster players like Ryan and Yandle with those firsts then they could very well keep things rolling in Nashville. But if they take the picks and sit on them, it may take them some time to be contenders again. Then again, Nashville has always found the way to be competitive despite not always sporting great teams. If anyone can surpass losing Weber and Sutter and get right back into playoff contention its them IMO.
AFFPR

Postby RAMPAGE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:24 pm

One of the best defensemen in the league for 4 late first round draft picks? Predators pretty much have to match - no matter how frontloaded the contract is. They can match now, have Weber on the team for another year, and then trade him for much more next offseason. That contract overall has a great cap hit (at least in comparison to a lot of other contracts in the league), so I am pretty sure they won't have trouble trading him for a king's ransom. Or they can make a side deal with Philly for NHL forwards or prospects in exchange for all those first round picks with the threat that if Philly does not agree, then they will just match Weber.
RAMPAGE
2nd-Liner

Postby Drury_Sakic » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm

The biggest risk in matching Weber for the Preds is that if there is no hockey this year or if there was a substantially shortened season, they would STILL have to pay Weber roughly 26 million up front this year alone. It is unclear what the impact of such a big payout with no revenue coming in would due to the Preds franchise. Ownership may not be able to abosrb that cost, and as a result the franchise could potentially have financial issues and perhaps even result in another Phoenix like situation.

It is an easier choice to re-up Weber if the CBA would be signed and ready to go today.
Drury_Sakic

Postby clanfrazier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Preds matched it.
clanfrazier

Postby Drury_Sakic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Glad to see the Preds finally show some fiscal balls.

Another big plus out of this all is that at least ONE team will be highly motivated to get the CBA signed. If Nashville does not get revenue from at least a big chunk of this season, they will be in deep trouble.
Drury_Sakic

Return to Trades, Transactions, Free-Agency, and Rumors