Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

2012 Free Agency Official Thread

Covers Trades, Trade Proposals, Trade Rumors and Free-Agency!

Re: 2012 Free Agency Official Thread

Postby AFFPR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Matt Carkner signs with NYI.. Huge fail for the Avs, very embarrassing indeed.
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Carkner for 3 years, $4.5MM. Yes, very embarrassing.
clanfrazier

Postby AFFPR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Filip Kuba signs with Panthers. Looks like a replacement for Garrison.
AFFPR

Postby AFFPR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Ottawa trades Nick Foligno for Marc Methot from CBJ.
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Starting to get a bad feeling about this UFA period after the Carkner debacle. Preparing to get shut out of everything good and being mad, yet again, at Sherman's ineptness.
clanfrazier

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:00 pm

clanfrazier wrote:Starting to get a bad feeling about this UFA period after the Carkner debacle. Preparing to get shut out of everything good and being mad, yet again, at Sherman's ineptness.

Av's sign Greg Zanon to a 2 year/$4.5MM contract. Sigh. Why then did we make the effort to sign Hunwick...or, why then did we even bother with Zanon when we have offensive slots to fill? Yes, Zanon is pretty good positionally, but is yet another undersized D that we have plenty of. I'm not arguing his signing, as I would rather have Zanon than Hunwick...but...
clanfrazier

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Ponikarovsky to Winnepeg; Parros to Florida. His 'Stache will fit in South Florida better anyway...
clanfrazier

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 pm

clanfrazier wrote:Starting to get a bad feeling about this UFA period after the Carkner debacle. Preparing to get shut out of everything good and being mad, yet again, at Sherman's ineptness.

And the unannounced jinx works! Parenteau to the Av's...4 years/$16MM. I can work with that.
clanfrazier

Postby Ellipson » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 pm

I expected PA to get 4.5 or 5. Loving this signing, especially since there was no way Parise was coming here. The Zanon signing however... So we're going to roll EJ and 6 guys who are 4/5/6's?
Ellipson
Grinder

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:02 pm

I actually really liked the day the Avs had.

Parenteau seems to be in the mold of Mueller and Flash as that playmaking winger to play with Duchene. Should be a 20-25 goal 30-35 assist guy on the Duchene and Hejduk line. Lets be real, the Avs were never going to spend on Semin or Parise, and Doan looks to be playing the waiting game with the Yotes situation. The Avs probably got the best UFA winger behind those 3.

Zanon is a bit of a head scratcher, as the Avs now have Wilson, Hunwick, Hejda, Zanon, and O'Brien locked up as lefty guys on D...with O'Bryne and Johnson, along with possibly Elliott and/or Barrie on the right side. However, the Avs had the cap space and you can never have too many NHL ready D men on the roster. Plus, there is nothing saying the Avs can't trade Hejda or O'Bryne now, or possibly Wilson, Hunwick, or O'Brien at the deadline. Again, the Avs were never going to go get Suter...just be real... so at least they showed some signs of being willing and able to get some depth. This also is not a knock on Zanon, as he is what he is, just the Avs have a good deal of 4-7 D men on the roster right now. That said, Zanon is as close to a pure shot blocking D man as the Avs have, which none of the other guys really have in their skill set.

Mitchell is the logical 4th line/bench depth signing. Can play center or wing. For some unknown reason he did play some PP with the Rangers. Not a big or small guy.

All in all, the Avs did what they had to. They signed a scoring/offensive winger, added a 4th line depth guy, and put some vet depth on the blueline. The only thing I would have prefered to see was a bit of a bigger upgrade on D, but I just don't think the Avs were ever really in the race for any of the D men on the UFA market.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Some speculation that the Avs might be going after Jay Bouwmeester, but I have no idea how they would get him or what would happen that would resolve the backlog of lefty D men. Any trade would almost certainly require moving Wilson back to Calgary, but its hard to read that given Wilson just signed. (though I could buy Wilson re-signing under the though process that it might be a sign and trade I guess)
Drury_Sakic

Postby AFFPR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:06 am

PA Parentau could be a hell of an add. But could be a flop too considering his late blooming history, 9th round draft selection and limited success in the NHL with exception of last year. If he keeps it up along with our C vs Tavares then we could have a great addition here.

So how would you play out our top 3 lines??
AFFPR

Postby krich77 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 am

Stastny Jones McGinn
Duchene Hejduk Parenteau
Oreilly Downie Landeskog
krich77
Grinder

Postby Drury_Sakic » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am

krich77 wrote:Stastny Jones McGinn
Duchene Hejduk Parenteau
Oreilly Downie Landeskog

Yup,

Gives you 2 lines (Stastny/O'Reilly) that can score and also cover opposing teams top players and an offense first line in the Duchene line.

you then put some combo of Mitchell, Olver, Malone, McLeod, Mitchell, and Kobasew out there as the energy 4th line.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Domyos » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 am

Sherman confirmed that the Avs made offers to Parise and Suter.

According to some rumors, the Avs made offers to Semin and Carle as well.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Trades, Transactions, Free-Agency, and Rumors