Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Day 2 of NHL Draft

Covers Trades, Trade Proposals, Trade Rumors and Free-Agency!

Day 2 of NHL Draft

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:31 am

Avs select Mitchell Heard in the 2nd round.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/1476

Man, the draft is going SUPER fast right now....
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Re: Day 2 of NHL Draft

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 am

Avs go all Canadian in the draft.

2nd Round - Mitchell Heard - C -
3rd Round - Troy Bourke -LW -
5th Round - Michael Clark - C -
6th Round - Joseph Blandisi - C -
7th Round - Colin Smith - C -

All mid-sized centers, minus Bourke, that appear to be project/long term prospects.

To me, this draft was the draft where the Avs are looking for prospects to restock the Avs roster 4 or 5 years down the road once the current core is at full steam.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 am

Also was a SUPER fast draft, man, all wrapped up by 12:45 EST after a 10:00 start.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:08 am

Some thoughts on Heard

"I was actually surprised that Heard didn't earn a contract from Toronto this offseason following a pretty impressive showing at their rookie camp and tourney. Heard is cut from the same cloth as other guys who've gotten themselves drafted as "re-entries" in recent years, like Andrew Shaw, Andy Andreoff, and Rob Flick. He's really a jack of all trades kind of guy. One thing that should garner a lot of attention from scouts is his faceoff ability, which is among the best among centerman in the league. On top of that, he plays in all situations for the Whalers and is an aggressive in your face forward. His offensive skills are pretty average overall, but I do think his playmaking ability is quite underrated. Bottom line is that he profiles pretty well as a potential checking line player in the NHL with his ability to win face-offs, work hard defensively, and protect the puck in the offensive zone. He'd probably get a few more points if he was bigger, but the fact that he's so fearless (in an Andrew Shaw kind of way) has to help his cause. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs tabbed him in the later rounds."

Looks like the Avs drafted another O'Relly like player who can play the 3rd or 4th line center role, win faceoffs, and kill penalties. Perhaps the Avs hope he can step into the 4th line spot this year? He is an older player, 20 years old, and perhaps is closer to NHL ready than other guys.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Domyos » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:36 am

A huge trade went down last night, as Toronto traded Schenn to Philadelphia for JVR.

I think this is a win-win trade, both teams get what they needed
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Return to Trades, Transactions, Free-Agency, and Rumors