Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Talk about anything NON-Hockey related here. From Sports to Politics, it's all fair game here!

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Postby Domyos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:16 am

I never see anything like this, just awful.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Re: Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Postby AFFPR » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:37 am

Now a nuclear plant has had some sort of blast. I hope a nuclear disaster doesn't ensue, its bad enough as it is.
AFFPR

Postby RAMPAGE » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 pm

A total of 5 nuclear states of emergency have been declared. Disaster. I was reading that one of them is already top 3 of all-time (behind Three Mile Island and Chernobyl) and it could get worse. This marks the first time Japan has ever declared such an emergency. They house somewhere around 1/6 of the nuclear reactors in the world.

Just goes to show how strong this quake was that a country with so much experience with these things has been affected so strongly.
RAMPAGE
2nd-Liner

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

As much as you never wish this type of thing on anyone, I am remarkably impressed with how the country has handled itself thus far. No looting, no major crime sprees in the chaos.

Still a long ways to go, but at least the people seem to be holding themselves together. I can't say the same would happen in say California.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Postby clanfrazier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Japan is such a wonderful and respect-driven country. By their culture, they will be respectful of their neighbor in crisis and helpful when possible. Just about anywhere in the US (not just Cali) would be a horror show of crime, looting and worse if this were to happen here. All in time. Look at what happened in New Orleans with Katrina. Ill-timed Gov't assistance or not, that city would have devolved just the same. If the New Madrid fault goes off in the Mississippi basin (overdue, according to some geologists), the central US is toast...both from the event itself and the human aftermath.

NYC did rally strong after 9/11, but that was not a widespread inconvenience of power/food/etc...nor was it a natural disaster with nuclear potential. It was an attack people rallied against to help each other, so kind of a different situation.
clanfrazier

Postby sheese » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:02 am

Lately I've heard that the nuclear disaster is now rated worse than Chernobyl. It's sad to think about the impact to the people of Japan and the environmental fall out that will occur.
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Postby Drury_Sakic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I guess the meltdown was worse, but the fallout and exposure is much much less because of how the containment chambers were constructed. (well, Chernobyl did not have one).

There has been some venting and exposure, but the containment chambers are constructed like those here in the States to prevent all of the radiation from leaking out. Some venting had to happen to prevent the chamber from being overwhelmed, but other than a few ventings, the fallout has not been bad.

Tests around the areas in the 5-10 mile zone around the facility have no higher radiation readings than down town NY, LA, Boston, or other big cities. There has been some sea water used for coolant that again was exposed to super high levels, but most of the coolant was contained in the pools surrounding the facility for just such a thing.

The plant in Japan also was turned off prior to the meltdown, where as the Chernobyl plant was running full tilt to the end.

The bigger problem from what I have read is the temporary storage pools where spent rods were stored. Some of that coolant leaked out, though again, in theory it was a small enough quantity that it should not be a major long term issue so long as proper cleanup is done and people are careful about water supplies until proper testing can be done.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Postby sheese » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:18 am

That is about as good of news as I guess can be expected. I haven't been able to keep up with the happenings after the first few weeks. Though I did learn a lot about how a nuclear plant operates. Thanks for sharing you knowledge in a easy and concise summary.
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Return to Beyond Hockey