Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Simple question:

Talk about anything NON-Hockey related here. From Sports to Politics, it's all fair game here!

Simple question:

Postby cl525 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:11 am

To get the H1N1 shot, or not?
cl525

Postby AFFPR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:37 am

If you can get it, get it. Why not?
AFFPR

Postby Drury_Sakic » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:32 am

agreed.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Postby clanfrazier » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:29 pm

As for me, I will never, ever, get a flu shot again. Always got much more serious versions of the flu that I was supposed to be protected from when I got the shots. I have gotten the flu after stopping to take the shots, but it has been far milder. In other words, I have been much healthier each flu season I have NOT gotten the shot.

H1N1 is overhyped anyway...real, but also a lot of media fluff...just take vitamin C, D and have some Oscillococcinum on hand. All available at your local drug store, over the counter, and collectively less than the cost of the shot.

You could still get H1N1, a lot of people have. However, the shot will not protect you any more, and the additives contained within the shot could do more harm then the H1N1 itself.

This copied from another article...
Doctors around the globe confer the best way to combat the disease is with prevention; focus on strengthening the immune system. The disease seems to attack those with compromised immune systems. People with healthy immune systems are either not effected or are able to fight the sickness off quickly with little complications. Proper diet and healthy lifestyle seem to be the best weapon against this potentially deadly outbreak.

At least, that's my take on all of this.
clanfrazier

Postby _43_ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:05 pm

never got a flu shot
never had the flu
_43_
2nd-Liner

Postby AFFPR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:25 pm

The more people that take it, the better. You might have a good immune system and wont get severely ill, but the person right next to you might not. And these immunocompromised arent just those with diseases such as HIV or any other immune depressing disorders. It can be someone as common as a pregnant woman. Many pregnant women have died because of H1N1 and thats just a shame. I say take it if you have the chance, not only to avoid getting the flu but as a social deed to protect those that don't have your immune system.
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 pm

AFFPR wrote:Many pregnant women have died because of H1N1 and thats just a shame.

It is true that they are a high risk group (6% of deaths by H1N1 are pregnant women), but reports are coming in by the droves that pregnant women are also miscarrying within days of getting the shot. Too many for coincidence. It is almost russian roulette, take it and maybe lose your child...don't take it and maybe (albeit unlikely) lose your life as well. Truly sad either way you look at it. It's a shame they can't make a vaccine that doesn't have side effects...like death.

I appreciate where the supporters of getting the shot are coming from, and I understand wanting to help your fellow man; but this vaccine, like any vaccine, is a choice, not a civic or social duty. It should never become that. I'm not getting it, but if someone chooses to, by all means then do it.

I know this seems a bit strong, but there is more to it than just personal feeling. My son was a normal healthy 1 1/2 year old before he had his boosters for the normal range of MMR, chicken pox, etc. Within a couple of weeks, he had gone from fully healthy to showing symptoms of Asperger's (a mild form of autism) and Sensory Integration Disorder (which hinders our ability to filter out surrounding sensory items like wind, smells, touch, lights, and overwhelms a child into meltdown from being overstimulated by it all), which at 13 now, he is still dealing with. He has passed by the Asperger's issue, which is good. Whether it is the mercury used as an accelerator or something else, it affected him and his entire life...for something that was supposed to help. And yes, I'm a bit pissed off about that. So, you can see why I'm a bit anti-shot.
clanfrazier

Postby AFFPR » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:14 am

That is a truly sad story fraz, sorry to hear that. It is indeed a very controversial topic, the whole vaccination vs. no vaccination dilemma. There are really good arguments for both sides, especially if you have been a victim of the side effects of some of these shots. I could see why someone who has gone through what you did wouldn't want to even come close to new shots like the H1N1.

On the other side of the dilemma, I can see how many lives have been saved throughout the years because of vaccination programs.

I would really like to see the source for that miscarriage argument you present since my wife is pregnant right now. Before reading the source, however, I could think that perhaps people are attributing a miscarriage to the shot. But the reality is that naturally people miscarriage frequently. So, I am really interested in reading about this and seeing what data they used for this. Is the miscarriage rate higher for those that take it vs. those that don't?
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I was wondering about your bride and that. I'm sure all will be fine. The numbers are out there, and yes it could be chalked up to coincidence, but it just seems too many at THAT moment not to think there may be something with it. The lack of sufficient testing with this one scares a lot of people.

Here's a link, but there are many more out there. Just google...

http://preventdisease.com/news/09/110709_H1N1_vaccine_miscarriage_reports.shtml

Truth is, without Jonas Salk and brilliant minds like his, the world would be a lot more difficult. It is the more recent additives to the vaccines (mercury, etc...it is in the product descriptions by the manufacturers themselves) that have caused the issues, not the original vaccines themselves. That is where my issue lies.
clanfrazier

Return to Beyond Hockey