Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Raffi Torres suspended 41 games!

Discuss opposing teams and players here. Also keep up to date with the latest NHL business news and NHLPA info!

Raffi Torres suspended 41 games!

Postby Domyos » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:15 pm

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=840482

Well deserved, there's no place in the NHL for players like him.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Re: Raffi Torres suspended 41 games!

Postby cl525 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 am

He just needs to be gone. The NHL will be a better place. With Torres still in the league, is he the true last of the 'idiots'?

There's a difference between being aggressive, being strong and being an idiot. Torres is an idiot.
cl525

Postby Domyos » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:56 am

He will not appeal the suspension.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Postby sheese » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 am

After re-reading this it makes me wonder... are we seeing a new (and actually authoritative) department of player safety? I was quite surprised that Barrie got 3 games for what was a pretty minor play; comparatively speaking anyway. It was his first offense and didn't look that bad. I agree he left his feet, shouldered the other player in the head which led to an injury, but in the past this sort of play was little more than a fine or MAYBE a single game suspension. I always thought this level of punishment was pretty toothless.

Now, perhaps things have changed. Maybe players will be forced to think twice before making a dangerous play. I do think that Barrie got the correct level of discipline if looking at things in a vacuum. Losing $41K in salary won't break him, but that's a pretty hefty chunk of change and will hopefully make him think twice before doing something reckless again.
If this degree of punishment is consistent across the NHL I think it can only be a good thing. Dare I think that there could be less injuries; especially concussions? I hope that the dept. of player safety can continue this aggressive stance on stomping out dangerous play.
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Postby Domyos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:14 am

It will always depend on the player involved.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=djLsvX59bu8) was easily a penalty and probably a suspension.

Just imagine if it was some "minor" player instead of McDavid.
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Postby sheese » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Domyos wrote:It will always depend on the player involved.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=djLsvX59bu8) was easily a penalty and probably a suspension.

Just imagine if it was some "minor" player instead of McDavid.

Sad, but sooo true
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Postby cl525 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:34 am

Honestly, what Barrie did should have gotten a 3 gamer. That should be the standard. IMO the days of 1-game suspension should be over. If you are going to do something that gets you suspended, it should automatically be for 2+. That's the only way to start knocking these types of hits out of the game.

With that said, Torres should be done, IMO.
cl525

Return to NHL Hockey Talk