Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

NHL proposes 50-50 split

Discuss opposing teams and players here. Also keep up to date with the latest NHL business news and NHLPA info!

NHL proposes 50-50 split

Postby Drury_Sakic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 am

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85120 ... ed-revenue

Fine print details have yet to be released, but the NHL has proposed a full season of hockey, 82 games, plus a 50-50 split. They also have proposed that existing contracts be honored in full based on defered payements and hockey revenue growth.

Depending on how those defered payments go, if the NHLPA does not counter with a 52% number and get a deal done, I will be mad as hell at the players.

Again, we don't know the full details, so there is a chance this is just a PR move, but given the last 5-6 meetings have been ONLY about the secondary issues and hockey revenue, I would hope those issues are settled. If that is the case, and the defered payment of existing contracts is not just a joke of a concept, the NHLPA MUST counter the offer with a 52% number and then get the NHL to accept. (I would never expect them to accept the deal at 50% outright)
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Re: NHL proposes 50-50 split

Postby clanfrazier » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Three or four counter-proposals submitted by the NHLPA this afternoon. All trending down toward 50/50 in different ways/durations. Starting to look positive.

50/50 in a few years will possibly still be a raise for the players, as long as growth trends in the NHL continue. A ladder down to that would increase owners revenues and still allow players to keep most, if not all, of their current income pool and likely grow it in the future.
Last edited by clanfrazier on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clanfrazier

Postby clanfrazier » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm

OK, not as positive as previously thought/reported. Players proposals not as good as thought, and one option even had player revenue going up the first year. That said, at least they are talking and working on numbers, not secondary issues.
clanfrazier

Postby Drury_Sakic » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I just do not get what the PA is thinking here.

Yeah, they are getting screwed here no matter what they do, and no, they probably do not deserve it.....but this is their last best chance to not lose an even bigger chunk of the pie.

I understand one of the big sticking points for the players is the fact that they all have signed deals and they don't want another roll back....so be more creative with the offer.

I still think if they proposed something along the lines of

52% Revenue share for the players
8 Years or age 28 for UFA for all players entering the league as of 2013, current UFA stataus for all NHLPA members
7 Year Max Contracts
3 Year Entry Level Contracts

as the core of the deal and then worked out some sort of league revenue based bonus structure that would see all players who are under existing contracts get the rolled back dollars paid out over a period of time based on certain revenue metrics...would work.

The players are standing on principle, and I see that...but if you lose 40-50 or more games this year, you are already close to losing the 1.8 billion or whatever Fehr is saying they will lose over the life of the CBA...not to mention any further stalling will only decrease revnue league wide.

I don't think it is going to be a fair deal for the players, but take what you can get now or else.
Drury_Sakic

Postby Ellipson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 am

It's going to be done in some fashion before the Winter Classic. Too much lost revenue, and I'm sure both know it. Players will probably hold out until then because the owners will cave to keep their cash cow (at least IMO). The only question is who blinks first, really.
Ellipson
Grinder

Postby Ellipson » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm

I hate being wrong. :(
Ellipson
Grinder

Postby clanfrazier » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 am

I hear you Ellipson, but it strikes me a little odd that the Winter Classic gets cancelled before any games in December. I've heard it being used as a potential bargaining chip, but either way you look at it...cancelling December first before 1 game in January seems to make more sense. I know there is more setup for that game, more logistics, but still. Dunno...we'll see...
clanfrazier

Postby Ellipson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:51 pm

It would be disappointing to lose it because it would have made the perfect Christmas gift for my dad (long time Wings fan who grew up with the original 6 era, long pointless story as to why I'm an avalanche fan).
Ellipson
Grinder

Postby clanfrazier » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm

BIG meeting today...we'll see where it goes.
clanfrazier

Postby Drury_Sakic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm

clanfrazier wrote:BIG meeting today...we'll see where it goes.

Went in exactly the wrong direction....again.... NHL claims that the NHLPA leadership is not giving the full players union the full rundown on the leagues offer....NHLPA claims the NHL is trying to end around the negotiation process by claiming the above.....both once again act like 5 year olds and go off to pout in the corner rather than continuing to at least meet and talk through the issues. Blame game in the press once again.
Drury_Sakic

Return to NHL Hockey Talk