Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

To Boycott the NHL or Not to Boycott?

Discuss opposing teams and players here. Also keep up to date with the latest NHL business news and NHLPA info!

To Boycott the NHL or Not to Boycott?

Postby sheese » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:32 am

I'm so frustrated with the NHL right now (primarily the owners) that if this lockout goes very far into the season I may just give up and Boycott the NHL for a year or two (ie: no watching games on TV, no going to games and essentially do nothing that will generate revenue for the NHL). I'm not sure if fantasy hockey generates revenue, but I'll likely stick by that.
As a fan I simply feel taken for granted and that both the players & owners expect me to jump back on board once a season does start up. I unfortunately can not give each of the owners, Gary Betmann & the NHLPA the middle finger, so instead I might just leave the NHL for awhile.

I'm curious if anyone else has felt the same way, or if you just want to tell me to step back from the ledge. I could use a little perspective on this.
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Re: To Boycott the NHL or Not to Boycott?

Postby Drury_Sakic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am

I am holding out and not buying NHL 13 until the season starts, if it does. First year since 1998 that I have not bought the latest NHL game at launch. Not that it makes any difference.

That said, my opinion on boycotting the NHL is that it probably makes no difference. Not enough people will do it to make a difference. Most people will go to games once they start again. TV raitings may dip just a bit as casual fans perhaps lose interest, and as a result ad revenue might slip a tad, but I just dont see a large enough impact coming to really scare either side... I also think that both sides don't really care about losing money due to fan loss, they only care about screwing each other over, so even if there was fan loss, neither side cares.

I also think that unless one side is willing to make a huge shift in tact in the next week or so, the season is a gonner. The next phase is to cross out all the games between now and the winter classic...and I do not think the players will budge after losing the first half of the season because they think the WC is a push point for the owners....and I dont think the owners will give up. And after losing the WC, the owners may just end the whole season out of spite. It is kinda now or never.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Postby americanario » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 am

I am not purchasing anything related to the NHL.
I am not wearing anything related to the NHL.
I am wearing my LE Monsters Jersey and I may buy a jersey for my local ECHL team this season. I will continue to attend ECHL games and give the lower leagues my money instead of the NHL.
Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be PIRATES.
-Mark Twain-
americanario
Hall Of Famer

Postby AFFPR » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am

I feel the frustration. But I will be there as soon as the NHL is back. Granted I dont really go to many games, I plan to go in Jan to Dallas to catch one of the Avs games, but thats it. I dont buy much merchandise either. What I do buy yearly, and will do once the NHL is back, is NHL Center Ice.
AFFPR

Postby AFFPR » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:38 pm

According to Bill Daly, this weeks meetings are currently planned for more of the same useless crap. More secondary stuff. I am getting so damned pissed off at both sides.. Here we are in a freaking lock out, 2 weeks already cancelled from the season.. And these mofos cant freaking sit down to talk about what is keeping us in this lockout? Who the hell cares about drug testing when the damn league is locked out?! Get IN A FREAKING ROOM AND SOLVE THIS SHIT!! THE SEASON WAS SUPPOSED TO START THIS THURSDAY?! WHERE IS THE SENSE OF URGENCY?! JESUS

asdfkasjdfklasdjf;laksdjf;lakfj;zlsj;asla;owijf;ilzsdnv; lkvnkdvnifhosdvnadvnajfa;kvnzs;lk
AFFPR

Postby sheese » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:51 am

AFFPR wrote:According to Bill Daly, this weeks meetings are currently planned for more of the same useless crap. More secondary stuff. I am getting so damned pissed off at both sides.. Here we are in a freaking lock out, 2 weeks already cancelled from the season.. And these mofos cant freaking sit down to talk about what is keeping us in this lockout? Who the hell cares about drug testing when the damn league is locked out?! Get IN A FREAKING ROOM AND SOLVE THIS SHIT!! THE SEASON WAS SUPPOSED TO START THIS THURSDAY?! WHERE IS THE SENSE OF URGENCY?! JESUS

asdfkasjdfklasdjf;laksdjf;lakfj;zlsj;asla;owijf;ilzsdnv; lkvnkdvnifhosdvnadvnajfa;kvnzs;lk

It is this similar feeling that has me planning on boycotting the NHL. I was all too happy to take back the NHL with open arms after the last lockout, but this time it's too much, too soon and for too little. The fans have been taken for granted and arent even a secondary or tertiary thought at this point... Eventually you realize that you're in an abusive relationship. And when you do you have to decide if you want to continue living that life or move on.

Perhaps DS is right that the NHL won't notice fans leaving b/c so few of us will do it, but maybe he's wrong. Maybe enough people will put enough of a boycott on the NHL that it will affect the owners and players. Maybe even enough so that the owners will tell Bettmann to use a lock out as an absolute last resort instead of a first option.

Maybe I'm just dreaming...

Either way, If things don't get worked out soon I am done with the NHL.
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Return to NHL Hockey Talk