Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Tim Thomas won't play next season

Discuss opposing teams and players here. Also keep up to date with the latest NHL business news and NHLPA info!

Tim Thomas won't play next season

Postby Domyos » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 am

Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Re: Tim Thomas won't play next season

Postby clanfrazier » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:01 pm

That's great...thanks Tim. :evil:
clanfrazier

Postby AFFPR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:11 am

Damn Fraz. Dropping Rask although probably necessary at the time might haunt you for years :S

Thomas probably is done. Taking a year off at 38 while at the top of his game? Crazy.
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 pm

I know. I had this weird feeling that I should probably pick him back up before the season ended...but, alas, it never happened. I am not looking at Crawford as the next answer to the keeper dilemma, but might just employ the side rule on keeping from someone else's roster once we have the final set official... We'll see how it all turns out, as nothing so far is set in stone. Thomas might backtrack as well since it seems this is as much about rest as it is possible trade deterence. His NTC expires July 1 and it is possible the Bruins might have shipped him out, which he didn't want to happen.

However, if he wants to come play as "backup" behind Varlamov, so he can rest but still stay sharp for the Olympics by playing every 3rd-4th game or so, I could be open to that. :) His family lives here, so anything is possible, I guess...
clanfrazier

Postby AFFPR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:05 pm

I for one would not vote for a rule of plucking off players off other people's rosters.. That would dwindle the talent pool available for next drafts and reward teams with worse keeper sets vs. those with better keeper sets.
AFFPR

Postby clanfrazier » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:28 am

I thought we already had that available, whereas if you didn't have enough or acceptable keepers for next season, one could pluck a leftover player from another roster provided the other GM was not going to keep him. I looked through our archives and could not find it, but there were a lot of discussions about it and I don't know if I looked through it all, so we may not have that afterall. Anyone else remember that? Either way, if we do have that, great...if not, go Corey Crawford.
clanfrazier

Postby AFFPR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 am

Nope. Never was approved. So, you could make a poll on it this offseason. And god knows id benefit as my keeper
Ds are weak. But I just think it would be an unfair rule.
AFFPR

Postby sheese » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 am

I don't think I'd be in favor of this either... seems to circumvent some of the idea behind keepers & the draft
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Postby RAMPAGE » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 pm

[quote="AFFPR"]Nope. Never was approved. So, you could make a poll on it this offseason. And god knows id benefit as my keeper
Ds are weak. But I just think it would be an unfair rule.[/quote]
Ditto. No such rules were ever made. Corey Crawford ain't that bad.
RAMPAGE
2nd-Liner

Postby clanfrazier » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm

No worries. I thought it was an alternative from way back in the beginning of the keeper era. I wouldn't attempt to have a poll on it now anyway, as I agree with the opinions being shared on it...just thought it was already in place but never used. Crawford isn't bad, so long as Q stops switching goalies every game. If he plays like he can, hopefully that won't be an issue.
clanfrazier

Postby Drury_Sakic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

sheese wrote:I don't think I'd be in favor of this either... seems to circumvent some of the idea behind keepers & the draft

Agreed, there has to be some risk/reward behind holding on to older players versus younger ones as the season ends.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Return to NHL Hockey Talk