Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Lidstrom retires

Discuss opposing teams and players here. Also keep up to date with the latest NHL business news and NHLPA info!

Lidstrom retires

Postby Domyos » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 am

He will announce it officially today.

Great player, too bad he played for the wrong team...
Domyos
Hall Of Famer

Re: Lidstrom retires

Postby clanfrazier » Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 pm

Truly one of the greats to play this game. He will be missed on the ice, being a now ex-Wing and all...but not so much by me and the rest of Av's nation.
clanfrazier

Postby kdxman » Thu May 31, 2012 6:45 pm

That means Suter will end up in Detroit...that really sucks!

I hope i'm wrong.
kdxman
1st-Liner

Postby sheese » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 am

I hope you're wrong too. But being that it's Detroit they'll find a way to sign Suter & Parise for a combined hit of $5 mil/yr. That will be painful to see...
sheese
Hall Of Famer

Postby AFFPR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 pm

sheese wrote:I hope you're wrong too. But being that it's Detroit they'll find a way to sign Suter & Parise for a combined hit of $5 mil/yr. That will be painful to see...

Please god no!
AFFPR

Postby Drury_Sakic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 pm

sheese wrote:I hope you're wrong too. But being that it's Detroit they'll find a way to sign Suter & Parise for a combined hit of $5 mil/yr. That will be painful to see...

I think that there is a very strong possibility of this happening....and the Wings know how to work magic with the cap and talk players into taking the right types of contracts. That said, I would not count the Preds or the Devils out of anything at this point.

The biggest reasons for Parise leaving NJ was that A) the team was rebuilding and might not be a competitive team for 2-3-4 years and B) they were not making enough money/cash to fiscally pay him and Kovalchuk due to some ownership financial issues. Both these problems were at least partly solved by a deep playoff run that made NJ a profitable team and showed they were really not that far off from cup status due to some lucky player development.

The same could be said for the Preds and Suter. If they had made it one more round, the odds would have been even stronger, but I think that ownership in Nashville has shown that they are serious about winning and that there is a future of money and playoff success in Nashville. Suter, even moreso than Parise, I think wants to play for a winner and a spender. His own contract matters at some level too, but I could see him signing somewhere for under market value if the term was good and the history/track record of the team was strong. Suter is harder to quantify though due to the Preds also needing to sign Weber, and IMO Weber only sees dollar signs at this point.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Return to NHL Hockey Talk