Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Mass realignment idea gains steam.

Discuss opposing teams and players here. Also keep up to date with the latest NHL business news and NHLPA info!

Mass realignment idea gains steam.

Postby Drury_Sakic » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:18 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

Something that was a rumor a few days ago now appears to be all but done. The league would split into 4 divisions, with the 2 conference scheme still in place.. 2 divisions would have 7 teams, 2 would have 8.

As far as the Avs are concerned, odds are good they would end up in what amounts to the "Pacific" division with the Nucks, Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Yotes, Flames, and Oilers.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Re: Mass realignment idea gains steam.

Postby AFFPR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:50 am

Holy! Looks like too much work for something that could be fixed by shifting a few teams around in the current division system. Meh, whatever.. But just seems a little unnecessary. I am going to miss playing against Detroit if they get moved to East.
AFFPR

Re: Mass realignment idea gains steam.

Postby Drury_Sakic » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 am

AFFPR wrote:Holy! Looks like too much work for something that could be fixed by shifting a few teams around in the current division system. Meh, whatever.. But just seems a little unnecessary. I am going to miss playing against Detroit if they get moved to East.

I guess the whole concept came about from a desire from the Wings and a few other teams to move out East, or to at least reduce travel times. There are also rumors that the NHL would like to switch to a divisional playoff system, which could be interesting.

There is also a bit of a disconcerting notion that this would eventually set the league up to expand to two additional markets, with Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, and Quebec being on the table. Not sure what I think of that. On one hand, too many teams dilutes the talent beyond what the talent pool can support, which lowers the quality of teams. It also divides what is a smaller(compared to the NFL, MLB) , but passionate NHL fan base....though it also could grow the sport. I think the world talent pool of hockey players can fill out 2 more NHL teams, but it would require 2 additional stable owners who could afford to spend money in smaller markets, and the league is already having trouble finding stable owners in a few good markets. It would also require the NHL to work at making it easier/safer/more lucrative to get europeans, in particular russians, to come to North America to help balance the talent dilution.

I imagine one of the reasons behind creating a divisional playoff system would be to create the perception of more teams winning something every season as you would have 4 teams winning their divisional brackets. Another risk of expanding the league further would be that the odds of a club winning a cup is now 1 in 32 rather than 1 in 30. (from a purely team numbers based game)

I think it is a real possibility that the next CBA brings about two additional teams. The NHL would use the two new clubs, thus the two new rosters, to negotiate the salary cap down and make it more restrictive. Players would likely accept some reductions on the individual team numbers if there was more money to go around to more players due to an increased player base.
Found: Legit NHL 2-Way Defenseman
Drury_Sakic

Return to NHL Hockey Talk