Avalanche DB
Message Boards
Fantasy Hockey

Message Boards

Avs Start 3-1 (same as last year). So what's different?

Talk Avs hockey here!

Avs Start 3-1 (same as last year). So what's different?

Postby Foppa'sGhost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am

Avs 3-1 start has me fired up. But they had the same start last year before the wheels came off. Why should I be optimistic this time? What's different? First, is leadership. Roy left a void last year. Sakic is in control in the front office. Bednar is in control behind the bench. And aged leaders like Iginla and Beacuchemin are gone. Its on the kids. Second, the goal tending is better. A healthy Varlomov can steal games and provide confidence. Bernier is better than Pickard as a back up. Defense is better. Johnson is healthy and in his prime. Zadorov improved by playing a ton last year. Nemeth was a solid pick up and moved everyone down a slot. Bigras is holding up as a number 5. They are younger and quicker. Finally, forward depth and skill is improved. Gone are two bottom lines of slow has beens. New guys are playing with speed and in most cases skill, including Yakapov, Kerfoot, Jost, and Andrighetto is continuing his late season binge of a year ago. The core of MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog and Rantanen are now spread out. There are three fast scoring lines. As a result of these changes the Avs are carrying the play. Their possession numbers and shots on goal are much better. They are faster and more aggressive on the puck. So far, so good.
"I can't really hear what Jeremy says, because I got my 2 Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear..."
Foppa'sGhost
2nd-Liner

Return to Avalanche Hockey Talk